Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Soggy Sows Scare Shanghai!

The big news from Shanghai this week involves pigs.  Dead pigs to be precise, floating in the city's Huangpu River.  A lot of dead pigs.  3000 dead pigs!  The local government claims they do not know where these pigs came from, but there is concern, justified I think, that perhaps these soggy swine might have an adverse effect on the city's water supply, much of which is pulled from this same river.  The Chinese government issued a statement today saying the water supply has been tested and, I quote "...meets established quality standards."

OK, while I am usually skeptical about statements from the Chinese government, skepticism was not my initial response.  My first thought was "Wait just a minute, do you mean that this nasty-ass, bacteria-ridden, will kill you if you drink it water supply meets some kind of standard?  Yesterday's water was OK in somebody's book?  What the hell does this standard measure, flammability?

Is it just me, or does this boat look like it was specially engineered for pulling dead pigs from a river?
Incidentally, I have decided I will not be eating any more pork on this trip to Shanghai, especially if it appears to be at a suspiciously low price...  You just never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment