Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Dim Sum at the Lin Heung Tea House


If you ever get to Hong Kong and want a really unique dining experience, Dim Sum is a must, and the Lin Heung Tea House in Central is a great place to get it.  I have wanted to try true Dim Sum for years, but to be honest I was too intimidated.  I speak only a little Mandarin and no Cantonese, but after a visit to this restaurant, I now realize that speaking is not required.  All you are required to do is point.  Its that easy.


Here is how my Dim Sum experience at Lin Heung worked.  Upon entering the dining room on the second floor, a woman behind the register yelled to me "Share table, anywhere".  The room is large and contains maybe 50 large round tables which seat 8 or so people each.  The place was very busy, and I must have looked confused looking for an open seat, but a kindly older man waved me over and pointed to an empty rickety and well-worn chair at his table.  I thanked him and sat down.  The table in front of me was covered with dirty dishes from the previous diner, but this was quickly cleared, the table wiped down and fresh plates, cups and chopsticks, and a BINGO card were placed before me.  A bowl was also put down and filled with boiling-hot water from a large kettle.  I knew from past experiencing that this bowl for you to use in sterilizing your tea cup, eating bowl, and utensils, which I did.


What makes traditional Dim Sum different is that you don't order your food.  The food comes to you on a fleet of steamer-filled carts.  If you can flag down the old woman (they were all old women) pushing the cart, she will lift the lids to show you what each steamer contains.  All I had to do was point at what I wanted, she handed me the steamer, I handed her my BINGO card which she stamped, and I had my food.  It's that simple.  I also ordered tea which everyone in the place was drinking.  I had four separate steamers, mostly dumplings, all of which were very fresh, delicate, light and really good.  A great breakfast.  I was stuffed.  I waddled to the register with my BINGO card and payed the bill.  96 Hong Kong Dollars, about $12.00 US.  I may never eat another overpriced hotel buffet breakfast here again.  


No comments:

Post a Comment