Friday, November 9, 2012

To Push, or Not to "Puxe"?

As I am approaching a door with my Brazilian colleague in Sao Paulo, I see a sign on the door which reads "PUXE".  I asked my friend "how do you pronounce that?", to which she replies "Poosh".  Of course, push!  I march into the door and give it a vigorous push but the door doesn't move, I slam face-first into it, and my friend is practically peeing her pants laughing.  "WTF?"  As it turns out, "puxe" may sound like "push", but it means "pull".

It's funny how the brain works some times.  I now know that the portuguese word "puxe" means to pull, But every time I approach a door in Brazil with a "puxe" sign on it, I still want to push...


Found the image at http://www.scottkirkwood.com/2007_09_01_archive.html.  Fitting!

My Brazilian colleague has the same problem in America, except when she sees a "push" sign, she pulls...



No comments:

Post a Comment