Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Whoa! Do I Want WHAT?

Sitting in a nicer than normal drinking establishment in Shanghai last night after dinner, watching a DVD of a Live Aid concert on the oversized flat screen above the bar, one of the bar girls tapped me on the shoulder and said something into my ear that I could not make out - the music was pretty loud.  "What?", I said, "I couldn't hear you".  This time she yelled "You wanna head?"  Wow, I thought, that's pretty down to business.

I am sorry to say my mind went straight to the gutter, but even in China this is not a normal approach from a girl who looked more interested in hustling drinks than anything else.  "What did you say?" I asked, hoping to clarify - my mind was pretty confused by this point.   "I say, you wanna head?  Uck head?" she yelled back over a blaring Bono.  "Uck head?  What the hell is uck head?" I asked back.  She started pantomiming something with her hands that looked like a clam shell opening and closing.  "Wack, wack wack" she said as she opened and closed the clam shell over and over.  WTF?  Wack?  Head?  This can't be right, I thought.

I am sure that my face displayed complete bewilderment as she rolled her eyes at my total lack of comprehension.  She quickly walked around the bar, reached into a small fridge and whipped out a plastic bag of something I could not make out through the condensation.  She reached into the bag and pulled out a roasted duck head. "Oh!  DUCK head?  Do I want to eat a duck head!" I said, blushing by this point.  Boy did I have that wrong.

 "Um, no thanks... Had dinner already..."

She and another girl had one each.  I tried not to look...



No comments:

Post a Comment