Friday, April 26, 2013

Dig Deep - You Might Find a Great Layover

I'm an idiot!  I have been flying back and forth across the Pacific for seven years and it never occurred to me that I might have better choices in layover destinations than Portland or Detroit, the places that tend to come up high on the list when searching.  I had no idea that had I dug a little deeper, I could have been spending days on the beach waiting for an evening flight instead of fighting for one of the precious few comfortable chairs in a crappy Delta Skyclub.

However, three weeks ago, when booking my recent trip back home from Tokyo, I spent a bit more time than usual searching flight options, firstly because the direct Tokyo to Minneapolis flight was full, but I also thought with a layover I might save the company some money.  Alas, there was none to be saved, but I did find a connection on my return to the States through Honolulu.  Hono-friggin'-lulu!!  And for the same price!  Sure, it took a bit longer to get home, but thanks to the International Date Line and fortuitous flight times, I didn't lose any productive time - and I got to lay on the beach in Hono-friggin'-lulu!

Business travel can be a drag, but once in a while...   Bliss!







No comments:

Post a Comment