Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Fish Lip and Wild Rice Soup?

Raymond, my Hong Kong counterpart is convinced that I really like fish lips.  It was Raymond after all who found them for me on a menu in Shanghai last year, ending my 2 year quest to try what has to be the goofiest sounding food item ever.  The problem is, now every time we dine at a restaurant together, he looks for them, wanting to make sure I get something I like, I suppose. Raymond is a nice guy and I don't want to disappoint or embarrass him, so I am just resigned to thanking him and eating my bowl of lips.   And granted, they are not really bad, they're just not really good either.

This past Tuesday night in a Shanghai restaurant, supposedly Chengdu style food, Raymond as always "took care of me" by ordering fish lip soup for everyone.  The soup, a slightly creamy fish stock with little trout smackers floating about was not bad, and surprisingly contained a midwestern staple - wild rice, something I love but have never seen in China before.  In fact, none of the Chinese present could identify these long brown and white bits mixed among the maw morsels, most thought it was mushroom.

Now I am craving Chicken & Wild Rice Soup!  Perhaps next time I make this, I will add a few lips just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment