Monday, August 26, 2013

I Didn't See Anyone Actually Wearing One of These, But...

I ran across this during a recent weekend stay in Macau.  Possibly the strangest t-shirt idea of all time.  I mean, I get not liking McDonald's for nutritional reasons or whatever, but I think the "Adolph McDonald" concept is just a bit over the top...

After seeing this, my WTF meter was peaked.   I had to do some investigating, and the results were a bit surprising.  According to multiple news sites, something known as "Hitler Chic" has found a home in parts of Southeast Asia, Thailand in particular.  Hitlers image is being used as a marketing device to sell various merchandise, even food.

Tee-shirt for sale from a sidewalk vendor in Macau

  I don't know if this intended to be social commentary, satire, or is just in extremely poor taste.  And the hamburger clown is not the only victim.  Teletubbies? (always knew there was something wrong with them)


An even "The Colonel"!!!

This last one spawned a lawsuit against the company that produced it, and I am not making this up - Hitler Fried Chicken!

I don't know Thailand well enough to  understand if Hitler's deeds are widely understood. Perhaps to many, this is just a face they recognize but couldn't tell you a thing about - kind of like the iconic Che Guevara image popular with young people.  Either way, this whole thing is rather disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment