Saturday, May 26, 2012

May 2012 - Day 1-2 - A free day in Hong Kong

Its easy to hate airlines for doing some of the things they do, but I personally love it when they overbook a flight - that is the only way I get upgraded on international trips, as I did this time on the Minneapolis to Tokyo leg.  I fly a lot, about 80,000 miles last year, and Delta upgrades me often on flights within the US.  But on long international flights - no way - even if there are empty seats in front - they will usually stay empty.  Delta does this for one simple reason - a business class seat is worth something.   If I thought I was likely to get upgraded from coach to business on a trip to Tokyo, I would never buy a business class seat.  Delta knows this.  But when they oversell a flight - they will move me upfront to get one more paying customer in a coach seat.  Sadly, they dont overbook these flights often enough...

I had a free day in Hong Kong before crossing to Shenzhen.  This city has many things to see, but two of the more famous sights, namely the view from Victoria Peak and the house boats in Aberdeen had eluded me thus far.  Fortunately, and in spite of the forecast to the contrary, it was a beautiful day Saturday and I decided to hit both.

Hong Kong from Victoria Peak
There are two ways to get to the top of Victoria Peak, by tram and by taxi.  I highly recommend the later which costs about $5 US, that is unless you would rather wait in line for an hour to take the tram and pay around the same price.  Anyway, the view was amazing.  Looking north you can see the city and Victoria Harbor, looking south is Aberdeen and the South China Sea


Aberdeen from Victoria Peak

There is an observation center at the top of the peak which charges no admission so this is a pretty cheap trip. 

From the peak, I took another taxi to Aberdeen on the south side of Hong Kong Island.  Aberdeen is famous for its floating restaurants and house boats.  The house boats formed what has been called a "Floating Villiage" of people who live their lives in small boats lashed together in the harbor.  Something unique in the world I believe

The Jumbo Floating Restaurant in Aberdeen

I took a sampan ride around the harbor for about $8 and took lots of pictures.


The Floating Village



Aberdeen Fishing boats

I am staying in the Wan Chai neighborhood on Hong Kong Island again.  Wan Chai has many bars and restaurants, many expat pubs, and has a subway station so its easy to get to and from.  On Saturday night I walked to the Queen Victoria Pub - a cool spot with good beer selection, and it's open to the sidewalk - a great place for people watching.  The place is always crowded and lively. 

There are no pool tables or dart boards, but like all bars in Wanchai, there is other entertainment available if you are so inclined... (I am not!)


Yes, that is a pole on the right side of the photo where the girls practice their gymnastic skills - fully clothed.  Hong Kong is an interesting place as I have said many times.  

Tomorrow I travel to Shenzhen.


No comments:

Post a Comment