Monday, May 28, 2012

May 2012 - Day 6 - Larry tries to feed me bugs

You really have to watch Larry.  At lunch today in a seafood restaurant in Shanghai, we were walking past the "live menu", the tanks filled with fish, prawns, eels, etc, plus plates of other food on display, picking what we wanted to eat.  Larry pointed to one plate and asked "Do you like to try this?  Do you want to try?"   The plate he pointed to was covered with what looked like striped brown gnocci.  Smelling a rat, I asked what it was.  Larry thought for a moment, tugged at the fabric of his shirt and struggled to find the word.  "Silk", he said.  I gave him a sideways look and asked "Silkworms?"  "Yes", he said.  To be precise, they were silkworm pupae.  I have hapily managed to avoid eating bugs this far in my life, although after rolling a fish eye around in my mouth, nothing is really off limits I suppose.  "Do you like these?", I asked.  "Oh no, I never try these", he replied. 

I'm glad I asked. The rat was trying to set me up!  Perhaps he is pissed I ditched him for dinner the other night.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment