Saturday, June 16, 2012

June 2012 - Belgium -"How would you like your horse cooked?"

Tastes in food and what is considered acceptable to eat varies widely. The appearance of unusual items on a menu don't often surprise me anymore, but occasionally I am still caught off guard. At dinner last night in a very nice restaurant in Leuven on a cobblestoned side street near the town center two items made me laugh. The first item was horse. I seriously considered ordering this, but only so I could have some fun with the waitress. "Excuse me miss, but was this a 'free range' horse or did he just lose at the track?". "What wine goes best with palomino. Perhaps a mare-lot?". The possibilities are endless.

Leuven, Belgium

The second item was, I am not joking, kangaroo. If I were in Australia this would not be surprising I suppose, but in Belgium? Anyway, I figured unless there was a kangaroo ranch somewhere in Europe that this unfortunate Joey was probably not very fresh. I opted for shrimp. Not very funny but quite tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment