Sunday, September 15, 2013

Imagine a Grapefruit the Size of Your Head!

I hopped into a taxi the other day in Shenzhen, an unusually clean and dent-free new Kia, and I noticed something odd inside the otherwise spotless interior.  Something that appeared to be a huge pale-green citrus peel was lying on the small deck behind the back seat.  I assumed this served some purpose, but I didn't think too much about it until later that evening when I saw a similar looking peel in one of the beer coolers in my friend's Shekou bar.  I relayed my earlier sighting of this to Lula, the girl working behind the bar and I asked her what it was.  "Pomelo", she said with a heavy accent.  She tried to explain what it was, but "fruit was the only thing I could really make out from her limited English.  She tried again to answer my question, but after another failed attempt she admitted defeat and called for backup.

Linda, the bar owner explained that Pomelo peel absorbs odors and asked whether I had tasted this fruit before.  I hadn't of course, and upon hearing this she yelled something in Chinese to one of her more idle employees who in turn ran out the door and returned a few minutes later pomelo in hand, or rather "in hands" - it was quite literally as large as her head.  Within a minute or two it was peeled and a large section was placed on the bar in front of me.

Like a 6-inch long orange slice

It tasted nothing like a grapefruit, slightly sweet but a much milder flavor than any other citrus fruit I have had.  Quite tasty really.  

They take pretty good care of me at this bar.  I also had a special "flower tea" that same night.  


No comments:

Post a Comment