Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Street Food Gone Terribly Wrong

I love street food, even though it occasionally "bites back".  Nonetheless, on my recent trip to Beijing some friends and I took an evening walk to see what was nearby the hotel.  What we found was a two-block long line of food carts - Nirvana!

Or was it?  Some things looked quite good, and I sampled a few.  Just point to what you want and they will cook it for you on the spot.

Steamed crabs!  Very tasty
Squid - quite good too...


Starfish?  Didn't even know you could eat those
I also had some terrific dumplings and noodles.  But a closer inspection revealed some of the weirdest shit I have ever seen on a stick.  I know I have developed a reputation as someone who will try almost anything, but some of this is crosses the line by a fair bit.  

Top row from the left - Snake, silkworm pupae, taranchula, some other larva and chicken hearts.  Bottom row - more larva, centipede, more taranchula and snakes.



Add caption
I asked the vendor what these last ones were.  He smiled, made an exaggerated fist-pumping motion and said in a proud voice "Balls!"

But the strangest of all - well just watch the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecspUMbzluY

No comments:

Post a Comment