Sunday, September 29, 2013

Tree-po Rot-tay!

There is a Starbucks around the corner from my hotel in Shanghai, a nice perk since the coffee at the hotel restaurant is nasty and consistently inconsistent.  My Chinese colleagues don't seem to understand my need for a big-ass cup of coffee on the morning.  Their first site of my Grande cup when I enter the office is usually met with a knowing snicker, and a Venti cup will generate a laugh or two.  I don't mind.  I get to make fun of the way they drive so I guess we have achieved some measure of balance in our relations.


Ordering at this Starbucks is always entertaining.  No Chinese is required - their employees the world over are well trained and speak the same corporate language (I wonder if it has a name...).  A couple of days back I was in a bit of a rush, the queue to order was longer than normal, typical, and the tiny waif of a barista taking orders was clearly struggling.  She apparently forgot to mark my cup, I realized this after a few folks behind me in line got their drinks before me.  The somewhat older and much meaner looking girl making the drinks picked up on my situation, and asked if I was waiting for a drink.  I replied that I was.
 "A triple Grande Latte", I told her.
She gave an apologetic smile, which was a bit unsettling on her still mean looking face.  "Tree-po Rat-tay?", she sounded out.
"Yes", I said.  "Grande"
"So sorry.  Prease wait a moment" she said, and then turned to the waif and yelled "RAT-TAY.  TREE-PO RAT-TAY!"  "GRAN-DAY TREE-PO RAT-TAY!!"
Having thoroughly berated her co-worker, she returned to her coffee-making duties with a now satisfied smile on her still angry looking face.
I got my "Rat-tay" a few moments later and left.  

No comments:

Post a Comment