Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Trip to the Shanghai Museum

I had a free weekend in Shanghai a couple of weeks ago, and since it seems like all I ever do is work when I come to this city, I decided to see some sights.  The highlight of the day was a walk through the Shanghai Museum which houses 5000 years of Chinese art and artifacts; everything from jade and coins to furniture and ceramics.  It is free, but go early as the line to enter gets very long.  

The Shanghai Museum on Peoples Square

It seems like much of Chinese art is intended to scare the crap out of someone.  A couple of my favorite pieces are below


The sign next to this piece did not say what it represents, but judging by the horns and evil expression, I am going with "Imperial Tax Collector"






No comments:

Post a Comment