Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Ten Things I Love About China

Just in case you thought my view of China was all bad, it's not.  In fact, I really like traveling here.  Here is some of the good stuff - again in no particular order...

Chopsticks - At first, using chopsticks was a source of anxiety for me in China - I just knew I was being watched every time I dropped food on my lap.  However, since my chopstick skills have improved, I have to admit that they make some things actually easier to eat.  It is much harder to pick up a piece of lettuce from a salad with a fork.  Sticky rice is nearly impossible to eat with a spoon, but it's a breeze with chopsticks.  I suppose these are perfectly adapted for Chinese food where most everything is served in bite-sized pieces

Taxis - Cabs in China are plentiful and cheap.  Most rides cost less than $5 if you are not going too far.  So long as you can communicate where you are going and so long as the driver uses the meter, there is no easier way to get around

Security - During my six years of travel here, I have never felt the least bit threatened while walking about in Shanghai and Shenzhen, even at night.  I don't go out of my way to test this, but I have been far off the beaten path many times without incident.  My local colleagues confirm that incidents of people getting mugged are extremely rare

Roads - Please note I mean the roads themselves - not the overall driving experience.  The Chinese government has invested heavily in roads, and if you removed the Chinese drivers, you would have some of the safest roads in the world.  The highways are smooth,  in good repair, feature long sweeping turns, continuous guard rails on both sides, and they have hedges or other dividers separating travelers going opposite directions to prevent being blinded by oncoming headlights.  Chinese highways have the feel of the German Autobahns

Soup - Chinese soups kick ass!  They are some of the best I have had anywhere.

Skylines - China's cities have very modern skylines, most of the taller buildings being 15 years old or less and full of ornamentation and bling.  Just look at the photo below.  Enough said


Shanghai at night!

Haggling - I'll admit it, I love to haggle and the Chinese are very worthy adversaries.  Hagging here is a way of life.  Where else can you negotiate the price of beer with a bartender!

Duck - You haven't tried duck until you've had it in China.  Eating Beijing duck served with dark sauce and tiny crepes is a life changing experience

Foot Massage - Nowhere else does this art exist, and nowhere else in the world can you legally pay to have a sixteen year-old girl beat the crap out of you.  See the posting from a few years ago for a full description

Hotels - You get a lot more hotel room for your money in many Chinese cities. Marble bathrooms, walk in showers, and king sized beds are the norm, and most cost around $120 a night in places like Shanghai.  I've paid more than that for a room in a crappy Holiday Inn in the US where you cant even get warm food.

No comments:

Post a Comment