Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A nasty night in Amsterdam

No, I don't mean "nasty" in that way.  I just mean that as cool a place as this city is, cold and rainy is still just cold and rainy - nasty weather sucks no matter where you are.

I am staying at the Krasnapolsky Hotel on Dam Square.  Heart of the city, on the fringe of the Red Light District - a terrific spot to just wander and observe the place where most vices are legal.  If you were so inclined, you could buy weed in a local "Coffee Shop", walk across the street and share that doobie with the girl of your dreams, or at least the girl of your dreams for the next 20 minutes.



"Window Shopping", as it is known here is something that everyone should experience at least once.  I don't think this sort of thing exists anyplace else.  The girls in the windows are dressed, albeit barely dressed, and people of all stripes, entire families even wander past, point, gawk, ogle, and in most cases display embarrassed smiles.

But this night I was having none of it.  It was 34 degrees F, rainy and windy. I set out to do some sightseeing but after about 10 minutes I decided this was pretty much the opposite of fun.  I gave up and returned to the hotel.

Overnight it snowed.  A few pictures from Dam Square across from the hotel






No comments:

Post a Comment